VSN (admin) Published Wednesday, November 16, 2022 – 18:30
VERMILLION, SD — Dakota State (SD) led the first half in the NCAA Division I South Dakota men’s basketball exhibition competition at the Sanford Coyote Sports Center Saturday night. The Trojans led by as many as nine points in the first half and took a one-point lead at halftime, but couldn’t overcome the Coyotes’ offensive breakout in the second half to post an 82-64 setback.
Dakota State remains at 2-2 overall record. South Dakota improved to 2-1 overall.
The Trojans play their second exhibition game of the season Thursday night, visiting NCAA Division II’s Sioux Falls (SD). The exhibition competition concludes at 7 p.m. at the Stewart Center in Sioux Falls.
South Dakota 82, State of Dakota (SD) 64 – FINALS
- Both teams fought off the field in the first two minutes of the game. South Dakota snatched the first lead of the game after a back-to-back 3-point goal from Kruz Perrott-Hunt and Tasos Kamateros for a 6-0 lead with 17:28 on the clock.
- Dakota State would respond with eight straight points from three different scorers — Chris Morales, Sam Muller and Ethan Damerun — to forge an 8-6 lead with less than 14 minutes left in the first half.
- The Trojans extended their lead after Müller’s basket from 9:56 on the clock to 18:11 in the first half.
- A steal from Kevin Jones, Jr. paved the way for the Trojans to a 24:15 nine-point lead when Deshawn Kelly hit a layup with 6:52 left.
- With DSU leading 28-22, the Coyotes reduced their deficit to one point when AJ Plitzuweit pulled off a 3-point win with 3:03 left in the first half.
- Plitzuwide hit a free throw as USD reclaimed their 31-30 lead with less than 10 seconds left in game one. Kelly followed up with a basket late in the first half, giving DSU a 32-31 halftime advantage.
- Dakota State was 38.9 percent in the first half and hit 14 of 36 field goals. South Dakota was held off the field 34.5 percent in the first twenty minutes (10 of 29 field goals).
- Morales dumped a 3-pointer as the Trojans took a 35-34 lead, staying 18:44 in the game.
- USD responded with a 5-0 goal run to take a 39-34 lead with less than 18 minutes to go after Perrott-Hunt scored a 3-pointer.
- The Coyotes maintained their single-digit lead for the next seven minutes before expanding the lead into double digits.
- At 50-46, South Dakota went on a 9-0 scoring run to extend their lead to 59-46 after two free throws from Jeremiah Coleman.
- USD led up to 19 points at 70-51 when Paul Bruns ended a 3-point game with 6:48 to go.
- Dakota State couldn’t get any closer than 11 points after a 13-5 run, topped by a 3-pointer from Kelly. DSU was behind 75-64, 3:22 remaining.
- USD finished the game with a 7-0 run in the last 1:49 of the game.
- South Dakota beat Dakota State 51-32 in the last twenty minutes. USD was 19 of 34 from the field (55.9 percent) compared to DSU 13 of 29 field targets (44.8 percent).
- Kelly scored 25 points on his 10 of 15 field goals, including 3 of 6 from the 3-point line off the bench for Dakota State. Muller added a 19-point double-double and pulled down 11 rebounds. He was 9-of-16 from the field. Müller distributed four assists.
- Morales added eight points and three steals for DSU. Damerun had four points and four rebounds.
- Four USD players scored double digits, led by Plitzuweit with 16 points. Bruns added 16 points from the bench on his 7 of 13 field goals. Perrott-Hunt scored 15 points. Kamateros scored 11 points and eight rebounds. Damani Hayes had seven rounds.
- Perrott-Hunt and Mason Archambalt each dished out three assists for USD.
- The Coyotes shot 46 percent overall from the field (29 of 63 field goals) and 9 of 23 from the 3-point line. The Trojans were 41.5 percent (27 of 65 field goals) and 6 of 17 from the 3-point arc.
- Both teams scored 13 points on second chance points and 18 points on turnovers.
Nick Huntimer, sports information director at Dakota State University
Dakota State University NCAA D1 Team Men’s Basketball North Star Athletic Association Scores